Frequently Asked Questions
Tropocells® PRP is the most advanced and innovative Platelet Rich Plasma (“PRP”) preparation system in the market to obtain highly pure PRP for medical use. PRP is a unique and innovative, non surgical healing treatment for patients experiencing persistent pain due to osteoarthritis, muscle strains, or injuries to tendons, ligaments, or joints, etc. This therapeutic system is based on your body’s ability to regenerate. Basically, specific blood components, comprised of platelets, stem cells and growth factors, will be enrolled into the healing and regeneration processes. These essential component reside in the PRP derived from your own blood will reduce pain and enhance connective tissue healing; regenerate and repair bone, tendon, cartilage and ligament; promote the development of new blood vessels and stimulate the wound healing process. PRP has been widely used for many years in plastic surgery, orthopedics, dentistry, soft tissue implants, and other types of implants as well as in the veterinary field.
PRP is a fraction of enriched plasma derived from your blood and contains high concentration of platelets and their growth factors. The growth factors stored in platelets affect the regeneration cascade in our body through participation in:
- Cell growth
- Generation of vascular endothelial cells
- Generation and repair of blood vessels
- Promotion of epithelial cell growth
- Collagen production
- Hyaluronic acid production
Platelet’s growth factors are essential for many biological/physiological pathways, such as:
- Connective tissue healing
- Regenerating bone, tendon, cartilage and ligament
- Promoting development of new blood vessels
- Stimulating wound healing process, etc.
PRP treatment is suitable for injured tendons and ligaments around the body. PRP promote rapid soft and hard tissue regeneration and accelerate healing of connective tissues. In sports medicine, PRP was shown to enhance the recovery of athletes with varied injuries, to improve tissue healing and reduce pain in the immediate postoperative period. The following are the major orthopedic treatments in which the Tropocells Plus is currently being operated with:
- Osteoarthritis of the knee, shoulder, hip and spine.
- Sprains and tears (Rotator cuff, Patella, ACL, Achilles, Muscle etc.).
- Plantar fasciitis.
- Tendinopathies (tennis elbow, patellar tendonitis, gluteal tendinopathy etc.).
- Trochanteric/shoulder bursitis.
- Pelvic pain and instability.
- Back and neck injuries and more.
A small sample of your blood will be taken by your physician into a sterile tube (in the exact same manner as a standard blood test, causing minimal pain). The blood is then centrifuged to easily separate the desired PRP from the whole blood. Approximately 10-15 minutes later, the PRP is ready for injection. The concentrated platelets fraction facilitates your body’s natural healing processes through the release of growth factors and other regenerative molecules. This will enhance tissue healing cascade and ultimately result in the desired intensification of the tendons/ligaments.
There is no need to discontinue other supportive therapies as a synergism effect is usually beneficial for reducing healing time.
No blood test is needed prior to use.
Your physician will examine you and recommend a treatment regimen. Although the course of therapy may vary, usually the Tropocells® PRP treatment is performed by administrating 2-3 injections within six months. A follow up treatment may be provided for optimal long-lasting results. For some patients one injection will be adequate to provide considerable relief of pain and to improve their condition.
Patients experiencing pregnancy, breast feeding, autoimmune or blood pathologies, platelet dysfunction syndrome, critical thrombocytopenia, hypofibrinogenaemia, haemodynamic instability, sepsis, acute andchronic infections, chronic liver pathology, anti-coagulation therapy and cancer should not be treated by PRP.
Stop NSAIDs at least 7 days (7-10 days) prior to and 6 weeks after the PRP injection. Additionally, corticosteroid injection should be avoided for the same length of time! Systemic use of coriticosteroids should be avoided. Additionally, the use of blood thinners or anticoagulant therapy also contradicts the PRP treatment.
PRP treatment is designed to promote long term healing, as the synthesis of new collagen, tissue regeneration and tendons/ligaments repair takes time and rehabilitation. Initial improvements should be evident within the first few weeks following treatment, and continue throughout the healing process. For best results patients may follow a course of physical therapy after consulting their physician.
The sensations vary between people and applications. As PRP is self-sourced, adverse reactions are rare. You may experience slight redness, swelling, mild bruising and pain. These symptoms usually pass within few hours to few days. Your healthcare provider will give you specific post-treatment care instructions.
Among the key advantages of the Tropocells System™ comparing to relevant competitors:
- Tropocells® is much easier system for blood operation and platelet purification and concentration in comparison with competitors systems.
- Only 10 minutes centrifugation.
- The simple preparation process takes no more than 15 minutes from blood collection to PRP harvesting.
- The flexible and easy to use system enables the users to obtain higher/lower concentration by simply adjusting the amount of clear plasma removed from the tube.
- Expensive capital equipment is not required. Simple low cost fix or swing centrifuge perfectly works with Tropocells®.
- The Tropocells® system results in highly pure platelet isolation to obtain pure PRP with its growth factors without red blood cells and granulocytes. Additionally, the process ensures optimum concentration of platelets and their growth factors at a rate of 4-5 folds above base line.
- The Tropocells® system possesses all medical device certifications as needed. Tropocells® is US patented, FDA cleared (510K) for orthopedics as well as CE certified (Class II). The Tropocells is being successfully distributed in more than 45 countries worldwide including in the US.